Monday, October 10, 2011

Inspired Neede Retreat 2011


Here are some sights from the 2011 Inspired Needle Retreat which was this past weekend.  I would really love to hire a photojournalist who could take great pictures and get great stories and remember everyone's name!  Next year I am definitely going to remember everyone's name.  There were close to 40 of us at the retreat and we all had such fun together.  The top picture was taken at the start.  You can see Katrina and Barb getting organized and ready to stitch.  We stayed at the Farmstead Inn in Shipshewana, Indiana.  The second picture shows how plain, simple, and calm it was outside our event.  Quite the contrast between inside and outside!!!  Shipshewana is a great place for the retreat because it is a quaint small town with lots of cool shops and places to eat.  You can even walk everywhere if you like.
Above is a BBD finish by Pat.  Gorgeous!
Rita was working on this gorgeous band sampler for her family.
I could not do these incredible stitches to save my life; but Rita is a whiz at it!!!
My stitching group has been picking a group project each season.  Everyone then stitches it.  I love, love, love this pick that we made at the retreat. 
Patti finished this very cool little BBD Halloween design.
Here are Sharon and Sydney.   I got to have a nice chat with them about the towns we live in and our love of needlework.
Here are Adana and Kathy.  It is fun to look around at all of the stitching equipment in the background or foreground of these pictures!  Below is the BBD project Adana was working on.  Beautiful colors.
Our dear friend Jayne turned the big 65 last week.  Throughout the past six months we have been working on a special birthday present for her.
Here she is opening it.  She was totally surprised. 

Each of us stitched a band on this sampler.  Patti added all of our initials at the bottom.  Cathy hemstitched it and put it together with the hardware for hanging.  Above is a picture of our entire group.  We were so lucky that we all were able to go to the retreat together!!!
Cindy showed us this beautiful quilt she was working on.  She is primarily a quilter and does exquisite blackwork and redwork for her quilts.  Here is one that is almost done.
Totally gorgeous!!!!



Many, many, many of us love Vera Bradley products.  Above and below you can see that many of us have the Kiss and Make-Up bag that we use to carry our stitching supplies in.  Everyone was kind enough to let me go through the room and scoop up each piece for a photo shoot!  I heard they are discontinuing this model.  I want more of them!!!  (even though I don't need more of them, but still!)
Barb made a beautiful ornament for the ornament exchange.  It is really a masterpiece.  Can you believe this is her first finishing job!!!!!
Cathy very kindly brought a traveling boutique so that we could go up and shop every so often. 
As we were going through some of my stash we came across this design from BBD.  Instantly we were looking through fibers and fabric to come up with a conversion so that four of us could share a piece of 36 count Maple Sugar and start stitching it right away! 



As you can see it is a very intense process and here is what we came up with!

Below are Debbie and Trudy.  I interrupted some stitch talk but they were kind enough to let me do so!
 Above are Teresa, Ranae and Brenda.  Here is a really sweet story.  Ranae went over to the antique shop and found these scissor frogs!  She was showing them to Teresa and me.  While listening to Teresa and I talk about how I had found some a while back but had not given one to Teresa, Ranae promptly gifted it to Teresa!!!!  Then, when I mentioned that I was going to be looking for one for Brenda she ran right over and gave Brenda the other one!!!!  Ranae has a very generous and giving nature! 
 Debbie S. started this amazing snowman!!!  Can't wait to see that when it is done!
 Kathy was working on this beautiful piece.  Love the pumpkin patch!
 Above are Kathy, Sheri and Lynn. 
 Laugh yourself into stitches!!!  That is what we did all weekend!!
Above is one of Linda's new starts from With Thy Needle and Thread.
 
 Above is Karen's Mouth of the Flower project.
 Lynn was working on this darling ornament from the JCS 2010 magazine.  It is a Christmas Robin from Victoria Sampler.
 Above is Kerry Jo's Spring Alphabet by Lizzie Kate.


Below are Cathy's sisters, Mary and Nancy. 
 Karla was working on The Knitting Mouse and it was so adorable!!!
 Above and below are two of Nancy's projects.  Love them both!  The bulldog has got to be a very difficult stitch with all of subtle color changes.  The By the Bay design below makes me really want to stitch one of their designs soon!

 Pam and Grace were sharing a laugh.

Pat is almost finished with her Quaker Diamonds project.

 This design in the current Just Cross Stitch magazine was very popular.  Jayne, Patti and I all are going to stitch it. 
 Here is Ranae's progress on Halloween Rules.  She came with her friend Anna who is from Wisconsin.  I don't have a picture of Anna!  Like I said, next year I am going to be organized!!
 Janet was working on this beautiful Hinzeit Reindeer project. 
Sharon and Debbie were stitching away!  I think they got a lot done.

 Here is the spinner where we spent a lot of time browsing and playing with silk colors.
 Sydney had this totally cool thread keeper!!! Perfect for this time of year.
 Teresa is working on the PS ABC's on one piece of linen.  We got a kick out of how big it is!
 Brenda started this awesomely fabulous PS chart. 
 Debbie worked on this huge counted thread piece.  Gorgeous.
 I took this picture too early!  Cathy finished all the little touches later; but you get the idea of this cool Hinzeit chart.

 Teresa has since finished Fancey Blackett by Pineberry Lane.  Totally great!
Jayne and Linda were involved in some high level stitching negotiations here!

 Brenda gave us a punch needle lesson.  So cool!  I would love to give this a try. 
I am having a hard time coming back to earth after the euphoria of the weekend!  Cathy did a fabulous job and every detail was perfect.  364 more days until the next one!!!!!  Can't wait!!! 

All of you stitchers and crafters out there no how uplifting it is to spend time with others who share your passion.  It is a real lift to the spirit.  Thanks to all of you at the Inspired Needle retreat for such a great time!!!

34 comments:

Birdie said...

I can't thank you enough for sharing these amazing pics with us. For someone like me who doesn't get to get out much , living vicariously through other stitchers makes me feel like I was there...if this make sense? I love seeing all of the great WIP and I must now hunt down a VB Kiss and Tell as they do making the most charming accessory case.

Again THANK YOU.

hugs

Margaret said...

Oh gosh! What a treat to see what the retreat was like! Thank you so much for being our photojournalist for the retreat so we could enjoy vicariously through your pics! Now I need one of those kiss and makeup bags. Oh dear....

teresa said...

Laura ~ you did a great job capturing everything ~ thanks so much ~ now my family can see what I did all week-end (-:

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Cathy certainly doesn't need to hire a photojournalist when she has you! You did a fantastic job of capturing the flavor of the retreat. Wish I could have been there but I was in Indiana this weekend, too, at another stitchy event. Hope to meet you (maybe at Inspired Needle?) some day soon!

valerie said...

Wow, what a fantastic recap! I am so jealous...I wish I could have been there. It looks and sounds like a fantastic time. Great ladies and great stitching projects. And that quilt is amazing!

I think I need to jump on board with the Kiss and Make up case. I saw Karin and Katrina's last year. I think it's time I take the plunge!

Sylvia said...

Looks like a fabulous weekend. I loved seeing all the action and what everyone is stitching on. Thanks

Ele said...

Hello Laura,

thank you for this post and such amazing pictures and embroideries!
Please, can you help me and say, from which book/designer the pattern of the little pillow is (with the two cats and the pumpkin),
I would like to make it too.

Greetings
Gabriele

Siobhán said...

Wow!!! I loved sitting and gawking over each photo. It looks like THE most amazing time--thanks for sharing it with us! I just loved the picture of your friend when she got the gift that you all stitched for her. Her reaction was priceless. How sweet. :) Okay, now I'm going to go back and look again!

Giovanna said...

Goodness, my eyes are hurting from all the wonderful stuff - thanks for sharing, it was wonderful to see your shots.

teresa said...

Gabriele ~ that design is from the Sept 2011 Just Cross Stitch magazine (Halloween issue). It is cute isn't it!

teresa said...

Gabriele ~ sorry I meant September 2010 Just Cross Stitch magazine (Halloween issue).

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures today. It really made me feel like I'd been there too. I wish! Looks like you had a great time. I agree, I love seeing everybody's stitching tools too. I'm going to have to go find one of those VB make-up bags now!

Cathy said...

Laura, thanks for sharing all of those wonderful photos! It looks like you had a very good time. And all of the wonderful stitching! I loved seeing it. What a great retreat that must have been!

JAYNELOMBARD said...

Thank you so much for taking such wonderful pictures, it was such a great weekend!!!Cathy did an amazing job planning such a fun event. Looking forward to next year. My 65th Birthday was the best ever!!! What loving and caring friends I have met in the stitching world!!! Again thanks to all for celebrating with me. See you next year. Love, Jayne

JAYNELOMBARD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BrendaS said...

What a wonderful recap in pictures! It truly was a wonderful weekend and I'm so glad I got to be part of it:))

Can't wait until next year!

Karin said...

Fun post Laura!!! You did a great job capturing the spirit of our weekend.

Can't wait for next year!!!

beth said...

my mom would have loved this....

ps...she stalks your blog now, ever since you started cross stitching :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Fantastic post, love all of it, especially everyone's happy faces. And Jayne, the youngest looking 65 year old ever! Those pics are priceless.
Now all we need are links to everyone's blogs so we can follow their progress!

Jeanne said...

I had so much fun reading through your post Laura and seeing what everyone was working on. I also went back over it again and looked at all the different lighting and magnfifying tools in use - I'm always looking for a good desktop light/magnifier as the ones I have at home are all big floor ones not too good for travel. I've never been a Vera Bradley kind of gal but just maybe I might have to check into that little bag - when it comes to stitching there are no bounds lol. Thanks for sharing all of this.

woolwoman said...

First of all Laura - what kind of lights are those Pam and Grace are using - they look like they have a magnifer and a light too???

OMGoodness - I don't even know what to say - so much talent - so many gorgeous pieces being stitched - so many happy wonderful people - some I know from blogland - what a special time and event Cathy puts on for her retreaters. Absolutely awesome is all I can say - Melody

CathyR said...

Laura, awesome post! I relived every minute of the weekend (and then some cuz I totally missed seeing Cindy's quilt)! Thanks for the great pictures. Now I need to get working on my blog post!

Melody, the lamps are from Craftlite, called the Dorset. They have the lamp part with a built in magnifier.

Cathy

Ranae said...

Wow!! you took some awesome photo's.
Cathy did a great putting the retreat together. It was so fun I wish we could do that more often.
And Thanks so much for the kind words
I hope to see you again real soon
I guess I should get my post going
I was recooperating yesterday, lol
(((hugs)))

Kellie said...

Hi Laura,
Thank you for allowing me to vicariously enjoy your stitching retreat through your blog post and amazing pictures. You are the photojournalist. :) It looks like everyone had a fabulous time. I love the photos of the stitching and people's work stations. I always enjoy seeing not only what people stitch but also the tools and organizers that they bring. :) I am going to be on the hunt for a Vera makeup bag. Those are amazing!

Michelle said...

What a fun weekend! Thanks for sharing all the photos and stitching with us!!

Nancy said...

It sure looks like a good time was had by all!

Babs said...

Great shots Laura. You did a wonderful job. Cannot wait until our next time to stitch together. See you soon.

Shari said...

wow, what a great review of the retreat...I want to be there!!! Oh how fun it would be!!!!
loved seeing everyone's projects..you did a great job of capturing the event!!!
Do you know that Vera Bradley usually has an outlet sale in Ft. Wayne IN, in the spring?!?!?!
I miss getting together with stitching friends at an event like this!!!

Stitchinowl said...

Wow, thanks for sharing the wonderful photos! You even included a photo of everyone's VB Kiss and Makeup bags - what a treat to see all the VB patterns together! It looks like a great time was had by all.
Carolyn

Melody said...

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures from your retreat!

What wonderful projects everyone is working on!

Makes me wish I'd been there!

Patti said...

LOVE this post...I feel like was there (LOL). Thanks for posting all the pics and for all you do! Hope you have a terrific day!

Anonymous said...

I love a great retreat. Thanks ever so much for sharing yours. I really like the pumpkin patch too, especially the little boy and girl picking pumpkins. So sweet. Do you know what that pattern name is and the designer, is't familiar to me?
Just also wanted to say what a nice gift for your friend on her birthday. Those pictures are priceless. I almost cried myself with I finally got to the picture that showed her gift. The inscription on the bottom and stitchers initials are wonderful. Nicely done.

Jeanie said...

Oh, my! I don't even stitch and I wish I was there to play and learn new things -- such gorgeous things being made! Terrific!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by accident and I'm so glad I did! I had a ball browsing all the beautiful cross-stitch work in your latest post. I, too, do lots of cross-stitch here in Nova Scotia, Canada and I did see a pattern that I really would like to have. I was hoping someone would tell me how I might buy the pattern "Mouth of the Flower" original artwork by Octavio Ocampo. I loved it so much and really need to do it for myself. I have never seen it anywhere else and I know I can't find it here in Canada. I would really appreciate anyone getting back to me with any information you can give me. I think all you ladies are so talented and way ahead of me on the talent curve, but I keep trying. Thanking you in advance...

India Black
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada