Sunday, November 30, 2008

LP Covers


I love CD's but I really miss the whole album experience! Go to the record store (Hegwish in Calumet City or in college it was Zapple at UC Davis), browse, browse, browse, purchase, come home, put it on the turntable and listen to the music while staring at the cover of the LP and reading the liner notes. Sadly, I now need reading glasses to be able to read the liner notes that come with CDs! Yikes.
Pictured in this post are some of my favorite album covers. These are covers with great design and whenever I see them I just get the feeling of that album right away.
Tell me that there are some other aging hipsters that still love Whipped Cream!!




Can you tell me some of the album covers you love?

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL - My parents had the Whipped Cream one!! Too funny - my siblings and I always felt like we were getting away with something bad whenever we looked at it.

I had a few albums, being a child of the 70s, but by the time I really got into my own music, it was all about the cassettes, and later, the DVDs.

Yolanda said...

I remember some of these. Lord I'm getting old.

Patti said...

Oh yes- unfortunately some of those look more than vaguely familiar! I loved buying albums and my "stereo system" in college often required a penny to be taped to the top of the needle to play properly. Ahhh the good old days...

Barb said...

Any Joni Mitchell album cover, Sargent Pepper, James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James" (so handsome back then). Those are covers I can recall off hand. Spent hours at the record store flipping through the albums...Ah, the good old days.

dogfaeriex5 said...

OMG!!!!
you know i lLOVE the tijuana band whipped cream album and ELOs-man i love that album, also elton johns yellow brick road and of course sgt peppers...man i love this post!!i have a friend who covered his one wall in his bar area with old LP covers, it is awesome!!!
xo from good manor

Jeanie said...

Oh, those bring back memories! I loved the Sgt. Pepper's (and also Abbey Road) covers. Lots of the show music covers were terrific -- the original Chicago, 42nd Street, Sophisticated Ladies come to mind... And My Name is Barbra, where she's a little girl in sepia tones. Lots of others. Nice post. It's fun!

I'm back and so glad to be back visiting your blog again! Don't forget to enter my drawing!

Relyn Lawson said...

My favorite part about records, the part I miss, is the swishhhh swishhhhh sound at the end when the needle is in that groove. I'll have to think about the album covers, though.

Trixie said...

I remember when Whipped Cream first came to our house. My dad belonged to the Columbia House Record Club and he would get new records in the mail. It was such a squeal to see them! I remember thinking Whipped Cream was so naughty! I also love the Bruce Springsteen cover.