Sunday, February 24, 2013

Best Books 2012



I posted this yesterday on my book blog; but didn't want anyone to miss it.  I would love to hear what the best book you read last year was!!



 Here is the list of the best books I read in 2012!  This year I am going to start with #1 and go forward from there.  You can click on the title and it will take you to the Amazon.com page for it.





1.  What is the What by Dave Eggers.  I read this book at the beginning of last year and the story stays with me to this day.  That is the mark of a great book.  Highly recommended!!!!!




2.  Pure by Julianna Baggott.  Another book that has stayed with me.  Also, this is part one of a trilogy.  Part two just came out.  I am going to re-read Pure first and then read part two.  I liked this even better than Hunger Games (so that is saying a lot).




3.  The Fault in our Stars by John Green.  Wow.  Another one that has some staying power.





4.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  Talk about a page turner!!!!




5.  By the Iowa Sea by Joe Blair.  Amazing.  Could not put it down.  Highly recommended. 



6.  The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison.  Totally fabulously wonderful.



7.  Home Front by Kristin Hannah.  I admit it.  I was a snob and thought Kristin Hannah books were subpar.  But since two of her books on my end of year best lists I have to admit I was wrong. Very wrong.  She writes great characters and stories.  Stories you are swept up in and can't wait to get back to. 



8.   Wild by Cheryl Strayed.  Quite a story.  Great writing.  Very good.






9.  Bloom by Kelle Hampton.  A beautiful book about a family.  




10.  American Dervish by Ayad Akhtar.  Love this book cover.  Great story and writing. 



Would love to hear if you have read any of these and what you think of the list!


Hope 2013 is a great reading year for everyone!

10 comments:

Natalia said...

Laura, what an interesting post. I always love to see what other people read. We all have such different tastes and that's what makes it interesting. The unfortunate thing is that I don't have much time to read if I want to stitch, but I manage a bit, and I've added some of your books to my wish list. I love political thrillers and Vince Flynn is my favorite author in that category. Right now I am reading a book by a Spanish author and I am loving it, the title in English is The Time In Between by Maria Dueñas

Riet said...

I read a lot and try to find the books I don't read to find in Dutch. Thanks for the tips.
Regards, Riet

Laurie in Iowa said...

I always enjoy reading about others favorite reads. A few titles I enjoyed in 2012 were:
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - R. Joyce.
The Gods of Gotham - L. Faye
The Ruth Galloway novels - E. Griffths
The Autobiography of Henry VIII - M. George

Melanie said...

I love good book recommendations. I'm actually half way through 'The Fault in Our Stars' and I'm really enjoying it.

Anne said...

Wonderful list of books! I've read What the What a long time ago and loved it. It's nice to hear of other authors and books I haven't read yet. Definitely putting quite a few of these on my ever growing list of books to read!!

Margaret said...

Fun list! I've read another book by Dave Eggers but not that one. Loved the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I'm sure there are others too, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment for some reason. lol!

Siobhán said...

I've read a few of the books you mentioned & requested the titles that our library has that I haven't. I need to kick up my book reading a notch, I haven't read anything amazing in awhile. I had to laugh about your comment regarding the Kristin Hannah books. I felt the same until I read Winter Garden. I really enjoyed it. I also read Night Road and liked it.

Stitchinowl said...

I always like to see what other people are reading! The best book I read in 2012 was Gone Girl and I see you also had it on your list. However, I have to add a footnote that I didn't like the last part of the book, just too over the top and one too many twists for my taste. I also read one of the other books on your list, Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I didn't care for it.
The best book I've read so far in 2013 is Defending Jacob by William Landay. Highly recommend.
Carolyn

Karoline said...

Nice to hear from you again Laura :) All your finishes on your last post are lovely.

I like hearing what other people are reading, I've not read any of them but I've seen great reviews of a few of them. My best read of last year was The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L Sayers, I do like my classic murder mysteries

Jeanie said...

I haven't read ANY of these and I think I must! They all look great. Thought I'd stop by because I hadn't seen any of your pretty stitching for awhile and now I saw that and books, too! I love the Peace piece! Nothing wrong with being in a Christmas mood every day! All of those were pretty!