Sunday, November 14, 2010

Joy

I really wish I could put into words how very special the women in my stitching group are. Here is an example to give you an idea. The above work is "Friends Count" by Mary Garry. It is an out of print chart by a woman who no longer designs. It is a chart that is very hard to get. Jayne, pictured above, had the chart.
Barb, pictured below, wanted to stitch this piece, so Jayne lent her the pattern. Get this, before stitching the piece for herself, Barb stitched it for Jayne. Not only stitched it but personalized it so that we are all represented on the piece.

Below are all of the people who are represented on the piece. Teresa is symbolized by the quilt, I am represented by the book, Cathy is represented by the Inspired Needle itself, Karin is represented by the Dutch tulip, Linda is represented by the crow, Pat is represented by the hypodermic needle (!) as she is a nurse, Patti is a teacher and so she is represented by the ABC and Barb is a cyclist and is represented by the bike!
Barb charted all of those symbols herself. What a beautiful work of art!!!!!!! So you see, my stitching friends are truly one in a million!!!!!!!!!

P.S. The picture of Barb with the Carriage House Samplings 1848 Reproduction Sampler is special too! She knew that as soon as we saw her finished stitching that we would all want that chart!!! She was right, and she was prepared. She had purchased each of us a copy of the chart!!!!

11 comments:

teresa said...

Laura ~ I am still smiling from a fun afternoon and I am so happy to Thanks for such a nice post ~ Teresa the quilter!

Karin said...

Wonderful post of a wonderful afternoon!! I am so thankful to have you all in my life!

Karin 'The Tulip'

Anonymous said...

Love the "Friends Count" piece!!! So wonderful to have friends who "get" us, isn't it? It would be so nice to have stitchy friends who live near me. Alas, I'll have to make do with the internets!

Margaret said...

Oh my! How wonderful! What a special stitching group you all have.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh my goodness! How sweet is that? I love the framed piece and all of you represented. THAT is friendship...and I wish I had some around here! :) You are lucky!

Siobhán said...

That is SO neat!! What a great post. What a great group of friends. :)

beth said...

what have you been working on....show us one of your gorgeous pieces....please ?

Patti said...

What a wonderful post and what a wonderful group of friends!!!We ARE so lucky!

Patti- the Teacher

CathyR said...

Thanks Laura, for being our storyteller! I love the get-togethers. The Mary Garry piece is a treasure.

Cathy the needle

Jeanie said...

Laura, I'm so happy you have such a wonderful group to create with. Makes all the dif in the world!

Sally said...

What a fantastic group of stitchers you all are Laura. The Friends Count piece is gorgeous.