Thursday, September 11, 2008

Back in Business!

Well, here I am finally!!! I don't know what overcame me. I just felt like I had nothing to say for a few weeks. So, here are some random things that have been going on. Above is a card made by my friend Jane. She surprised me at work with it. Absolutely gorgeous! and so sweet!
On Tuesday night Jane and I went over to my friend Linda's house. She is my Stamping Up demonstrator. She designed the card above for us to make. It is beyond brilliant! I especially love the long and narrow size of it.
The vintage cards that are seen throughout the rest of this post were purchased at our town's flea market. Jane and I had a table at the flea market where we sold stuff that was cluttering up our homes. I made $200! Wahoo! I am using my money to buy the Zutter Bind-It-All Version 2.0. Have you seen these? It is a little machine that you can use to make your own little books. It punches the holes and then helps you put a spiral coil on. I am so hepped up about this. I plan to take old, falling apart books and strip the pages out of them. Then I will use the front cover and back cover, put new interesting pages of scrapbook paper, maps, blank cardstock in and make journals. I have had this idea for 2 years! Last time I visited my Dad we went to all the places on Bainbridge Island that might be able to help me do this and came up empty handed. Finally, a solution has been found. I am pretty positive this is the solution at least. The cool thing is that my Dad is really great at getting the edges and seams of the book covers in really good shape. So it will be our project together. I will send him the gutted books and he will get them ready for me to bind.
Another new thing I have been into is Italian singers. One day at an antique shop Jane and I heard some great music. We asked what it was and were told it was Mario Frangoulis.....Right away I requested his CD from the library. While looking up his music I stumbled upon two other singers, Alessandro Safina and Vittorio. This is some really fun music. It is like Italian opera with a pop twist.

We are getting ready to have our guest bathroom remodeled starting Monday. I am happy that we are doing this; but I am worried about our cats and all of that disruption with noise, etc. Also this weekend we have to strip the wallpaper off in that room and I am dreading that. Any tips about cats, construction and wallpaper removal are welcome.

I will try not to be gone so long in between posts! Thanks for sticking with me people!

10 comments:

amarilis123 said...

I love your cards! beautiful!

Mario Frangoulis is my very favorite! I also love Vittorio and Alessandro as well as George Perris ( Mario's friend), Steve Balsamo, Fernaando Lima, Geoff Sewell, Russell Watson, Marcelo Alvares, Salvatore Licitra, Ramon Vargas, Juan Diego Flores and Patrizio Buanne.
There is no other voice like Mario's for me. He will be in Boston's Majestic Theater in October and in Omaha in November.

Have you watched Sometimes I Dream the DVD? Magical!
berta

Diane Duda said...

love the cards...old and new.
and how sweet that you and your dad have a project! :)

xo
Di

Nan said...

Well, those kitties will either run far away or they will be fascinated and want to be a part of everything. :<)

Jeanie said...

Welcome back! What glorious cards you found! And you made money, too! Fabulous -- that machine sounds great!

It's so good to see you posting again -- I k now what it's like when you get swamped!

Have you seen the Vittorio program on your PBS station? I'm pretty sure there is one available. Very powerful music. Or maybe it was Allessandro -- I'm not sure which, but I think Vittorio.

Good luck on your renovation. When I had my basement foundation repaired, I took Gypsy, his food and his litter box down to Rick's and put him in the bigger bathroom, so he had room to move around. Kitty daycare, I called it. Sort of a pain, but fairly convenient and better than leaving him in a house with a jackhammer tearing up cement. Do you have an area like a garage or somewhere out of the main part of the house where it'll be quieter?

Anonymous said...

Yea - you're back. I've been wondering what was going on in DG. Great cards - and always nice to make some $$$ from stuff you don't need or use. The book project sounds great.

Barbara said...

I love that you've got a craft project with your dad!

Unknown said...

Good to see you back! Your cards are all lovely, from Jane, from Stampin' Up!, the vintage ones. I have heard great things about the Zutter binder. Lucky you to have one!!!! Your refurbishing book idea is awesome!

Trixie said...

Yay!! Your back! I think the furry fellas will probably just stay upstairs and watch TV all day. Truly, they are upstairs cats. Bella and Cloe' did fine with our bathroom remodel job in January, so I think your two boys will be fine too. I love your old is new book idea! I think you could then sell them or fill them yourself with random thoughts or perhaps fill them with your pictures of fab people! I miss my girls and Jane's card really hit home! It is so good to be able to come here and visit with you. I am so glad you are back!

Laura said...

Thanks for all of your warm and lovely comments!

Amarillis....I could not find a way to contact you but wanted to say a big thank you for all the new names of singers you gave me. I will be checking them out toot sweet! I have not seen the DVD's that you and Jeanie mentioned, but will get them from the library.

beth said...

happy dance happy dance...laura's got her groove back !!!!

I've missed you sweetie !!!!