Thursday, December 28, 2006

Out of Control and Trying to Exert some Order-TBR 2007

I stumbled on the most exciting challenge!!! TBR 2007. For those in the know, TBR stands for To Be Read, as in a pile of books that you have purchased and said books have been unread for quite some time. I have "several" books that fit in this category, Ahem! Above is a picture of my books for the TBR Challenge. The challenge is hosted by the Literary Cache blog. The idea is that you pick 12 books from your TBR challenge and read one a month during 2007! Excellent idea as it got me all motivated to start reading what I have. I have an illness when it comes to books, I could buy 5-10 a week. There are so many great books out there, so many novels that sound interesting, so many works of non-fiction that I should read......I am trying to rein myself in just a bit and start reading what I have! I won't be able to stop buying new books, but at least I hope to slow down.

My 12 books are :

Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates
The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields
We Are All The Same by Jim Wooten
She Got Up off the Couch by Haven Kimel
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
His Brother's Keeper by Jonathan Weiner
King Dork by Frank Portman
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Until I Find You by John Irving
The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
Blankets by Craig Thompson
The Seamstress by Sara Tuvel Bernstein

Above is my back-up pile. If one of the original 12 books is not to my liking I will substitute it with one of these books.

Those Who Favor Fire by Lauren Wolk
Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanah Clark (note that this book is still in the original shrink wrap! for shame!)
Maise Dobbs by Jaqueline Winspear
The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty
The Sad Truth About Happiness by Anne Giardini
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tylane by Kate DiCamillo
Marrying Mozart by Stephanie Cowell

If anyone has read any of these and has comments please leave them for me!
Okay, I am going to be honest. Following are pictures from around the house of places that contain books. This is the guest room.
My nightstand.
Our dresser with my books all over it.
One of our bookcases. This is a relatively new bookcase that has been overun with books.
My family is joining in the fun. They aren't official members, but picked 12 books and will be doing the challenge along with me. Above are Mike's books.
This is my Mom's pile of books.

Below are my brother, Todd's books.

We all kind of have the same problem.

19 comments:

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

I haven't read any of the books you chose but I look forward to hearing how good they are for future reading. I am a fly by the seat of my pants reader which is why I often find myself without a book.. LOL I am not sure of I could line up 12 books that I want to read but I could try.

PS your button is up and works. Now get reading!

Literary Feline said...

I love that your family is joining in on the fun! How neat! I would suggest my husband give it a try, but he really doesn't have a TBR pile. He reads them as he gets them. He doesn't share our collector gene, I guess.

The only book one your list I've read is one of your alternates, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I did enjoy that one quite a bit (my husband loved it). I did see some titles on your list that I have in my TBR room, but they are not on my challenge list this time around.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on all you read this year!

Shilo said...

Oh no! I have some of your TBR 2007 books on my TBR shelves. I didn't choose them for the challenge though. I guess I'll have to make a back-up pile too. Oh my! Too many books!

beth said...

OMG.....I will never have to buy another book again in my life...if you'll ever let me borrow one to read.
I have never seen a whole family with same inherited book gene....you all are amazing. Now for you missy, stop reading your comments and start reading a book !!

One Crabapple said...

Commitment ISSUES !

But I AM thinking about it.

It is such an inspiring idea !!!

Look at all of your books for Crikey Sake ! I thought I was bad. Secret : one whole closet devoted to books , top to bottom. And half the storage cupboards above that....and then the room has bookshelves all on one wall.

Why am I poking fun at YOU then ?

One Crabapple said...

And there is no way that I would show pictures of my mess....at least yours looks PRETTY and nice ! I can hardly get to my side of the bed for the stacks around the bottom there....something must be done in 2007

My Personal Challenge ?
THSO

To Have Some Order

One Crabapple said...

THSO

Each month I will neaten and put one stack away ....

Well , I can't commit to this either...yet.

One Crabapple said...

yeh

I think I need help

Thanks for letting me work it out on your blog tho.

One Crabapple said...

...nothing...

just habitually posting...

sorry

bet you saw all those comments and thought WOW !!!

Now you are mad.

Are you mad ??

Don't be mad.

I am going back to work now.
PROMISE

bye.

Denise said...

Just today I started cleaning out the bookcase in my bedroom to substitute the novels for all my arty books. I boxed up Robert Heinlein, Stephen Lawhead, Anne Rice, etc. to make way for Lynne Perella, Lesley Riley, Traci Bautista, Sally Jean Alexander and friends!

I did save a small stack of novels to finish reading - I'll have to take a photo tomorrow and post on my blog!

Laura, I totally understand your passion for books! :) Denise

dogfaeriex5 said...

i am joinging the challenge and will let you know my 12books later on today when i get home..you are such an inspiration to us slacking readers...when i was a kid i always one awards during the summer reading program for reading the most books, i do really love to rea..
xoxo~k

Diane Duda said...

The only one of your books that I read is The Talisman, and that was many years ago. I enjoyed it then and may read it again myself.

More importantly, I love your wallpaper. Especially the blue and white!

JJ said...

OK -- I'm in... but may have to go buy a couple books or perhaps we should just make another trip to Chicago to the Duet Library. I have a few at home to read but the first book I want to read this year...freakonomics...not yet purchased...must get to B&N this afternoon as somehow I doubt this would ever be in your collection :)

Anonymous said...

I love it. First, I don't feel so bad about my nightstand now. I thought it was just me! Blonde sat on my shelves for months, and I think I picked it up twice and tried to get through it. I finally gave up on it. I've had Stone Diaries on my shelf for months too. So tonite I will go home and post my TBR 2007 list. This is sooooo much fun - thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you're joining the challenge!! I only have 6 books so far, but am working out my list and will post the whole thing soon. I have read Alias Grace and, I think, The Stone Diaries. I can't remember them, though. I know Alias Grace was for a book club and it was interesting, but maybe rather slow. I do want to read Jonathan Strange - I used to have it and now I don't see it, so it may have been donated or something, but it sounds interesting! Can't wait to see what you think of you books as you go - I always love to know what everyone else is reading!!

Joy said...

Hi Laura! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

From your lists I am currently listening to EAT, PRAY, LOVE and am enjoying it. I have MAISIE DOBBS on my TBR List and the first Kimmel book (Zippy) on my TBR Challenge List.

I loved seeing all of your books around the house. And...how neat that your family is joining in the challenge. Very fun!

Anonymous said...

I am over three days behind in your blog...but when I get caught up, I too will go to my book collection and pick out a list of 12 TBR's for the year! What a great motivation to actually read them instead of just buying them!

Anonymous said...

The Talisman is really good! Not really your "typical" Stephen King novel... it is perhaps a bit gentler. No less exciting though! I am thinking about rereading it myself. I heard recently it's being made into a movie.

I also love Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell! Very very wordy, but the words are so well written. It has tons of footnotes but they add to the whole feel of the story.

Looking forward to reading your opinions :)

Andi said...

Just cruised over from the TBR Challenge to peruse your blog. Wonderful pics, and you inspired me to take some of my own to post. It's been a while (I have a think about taking pics of my books). lol